Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Monday, March 21, 2016

INCOMING


  • Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine, November  2015 and January-February 2016 issues.  These were free so I grabbed them.  It's been a long time since since I read an issue of AHMM.  I had a subscription once, but delivery was spotty -- a full third of the issues never made it to my mailbox.  When I complained, I was told they couldn't send me the missing issues.  I dropped the subscription like a hot potato.  My luck with magazine subscriptions has never been stellar.
  • James Lovegrove, Sherlock Holmes:  The Stuff of Nightmares.  "A spate of bombings has hit London, causing untold damage and the loss of life.  Meanwhile a strangely garbed figure has been spied haunting the rooftops and grimy back alleys of the capital."  The mysterious figure is known only as Baron Cauchemar and he appears to be the scourge of crime and villainy.  But is he really?  It's up to Holmes and Watson to uncover the truth.
  • Michael Malone, Handling Sin.  On the Ides of March, Raleigh Hayes learns that his father has discharged himself from the hospital, taken all his money out of the bank and, with a young black female mental patient, vanished in a yellow Cadillac convertible.  thus the advventure begins...

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to lay my hands on some paper issues of Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read another pastiche by Lovegrove, and found it okay. Is that strangely garbed figure the Baron, or is it...Batman?

    Also, in the in the Malone, you comment made me think of another detective who drove a yellow Cadillac convertible: Shell Scott.

    ReplyDelete