Small House of Everything

Small House of Everything

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

UNIMPORTANT QUESTION

Ok.  This has been bothering me for some time.  I know it's not a big deal, but...

     When has it become de rigueur to cut the crusts off sandwiches for kids?  My grandchildren want it done all the time.  If the crusts are not cut off, they will eat the middle of a sandwich and leave the crusts.  Evidently all their friends do the same.

     I don't remember my children going through this, and I know darned well neither my siblings nor
I would have dared to do this.  Is this just a generational thing?  Or is it confined just to Southern Maryland?  Do  kids learn it from their playmates; I mean, if you trace it back, does it all come down to some alpha kid with a phobia about bread crusts?  Or do they learn it from TV?  (It would satisfying if I could blame it on Nickelodeon or MTV or Jerry Springer or Oprah.)

     I am a loss.  Any ideas?  Inquiring minds want to know?

     Oh, and -- by the way -- do you cut the sandwiches vertically, horizontally, or diagonally?

1 comment:

  1. I think it's been an occasional thing for decades...I know that some of my peers in the late '60s were so indulged...while I never minded crusts. For that matter, my parents would (I think they might still) avoid eating the "heels" of breadloafs, and I usually would use them instead.

    My mother and a number of others used to cut sandwiches diagonally, to allow for ease of mouth-cramming, I guess...much as diners and similar restaurants do still with grilled cheese and comparable sandwiches.

    However, blaming Maury Povich and the Olsen twins is fine.

    ReplyDelete